Gallery 6: PUBLICity

The PUBLICity exhibit at the Toronto Free Gallery was one of my favorites.

Toronto Free Gallery - PUBLICity


It is also the only gallery listed here that was in no way related to school.

The exhibit is a collection of works from photobloggers -- bloggers that write using images, more specifically photographs. I happen to reguarly read the posts of two of them. Rannie Turingan and Sam Javanrouh. So to my suprise and delight, they happened to be doing a collaborate exhibition which just started last week (and therefore fell within the timeframe of this assignment). A total of seven artists participated in the exhibit, but it was the work of these two that drew me in.

Toronto Free Gallery - PUBLICity


The gallery is two floors, and was entirely empty when I visited - which gave me the freedom to move and see whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and not have to worry about disturbing other people.

While a number of the photographs felt mundane and uninspired (the theme of the exhibit was "Urban Spaces") I quite liked the work of Rannie. Sam only had 3 pictures on display, of which only one I thoroughly enjoyed.

The above and below images are both Rannie's work.

Toronto Free Gallery - PUBLICity


All of the artists showing at this exhibit are from Toronto, which made me feel an immediate connection to their work - moreso than just knowing the locations that the photos were taken in. Knowing that everything in the gallery was shot in Toronto, by Torontonians was a nice experience.

The subject matter of the work varied widely - some were portraits, some were landscapes, some were happy, some were sad, some were big, some were small - all were presented framed and on the wall. Only two pieces from the exhibit were not framed photographs - the picture of the above work by Rannie (it appeared to be printed on a canvased frame), and an old television which had the screen replaced with a grid of tiny images.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home