Gallery 5: Christo & Jeanne-Claude

This was the third of three exhibits I visited at the AGO. It was well laid out over two or three large rooms, as well as a mini-theatre area showing a documentary on Christo's work (which I had already seen in one of my New Media classes!).

The exhibit was moderately busy but well laid out. All of his works from back in the 60's when he wrapped a telephone up to the current New York Gates piece were covered in writing and photo.

The magestic florida islands had huge conceptual drawings, as shown in the AGO. Christo and Jeanne-Claude are absolutely crazy. Having watched the documentary I have some idea of the obstacles and hassles they had to overcome on some of these projects, however I cant even imagine where one would begin to even start working on one of these projects requiring thousands of people and an exponential budget.

The only problem I had with their work that was done on such a massive scale, was that is it really THEIR work? I mean technically thousands of people made it. This is something that has always bothered me.

My favorite piece that was on display was the one involving pink umbrellas seemingly scattered randomly throughout vast areas. While I do enjoy the wrapping of obscene things, there was something serene and peaceful about the umbrellas that I felt lacked in the wrappings.

Sadly, as with the Group of Seven exhibit, I have no pictures because my camera was dead :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home